Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Question #1 from Mr. Wright

Question #1 is something I started asking friends and others about 2 or 3 years ago when I was wrestling with the idea of how people really grew in their relationship with Jesus and in their commitment to Him. ...What are your Top Five, All Time, Desert Island Spiritually Significant Events? By SSE's I mean moments, activities, disciplines, experiences, etc... that changed how you see and experience God.

1-Cori. She was my running partner the summer I found God. She played a significant role in my coming to God. I shared stories from my life and questioned God's willingness to love me. The best thing was, that her jaw did not hit the ground. She just kept hanging out with me and listening. At times she would share what God had done in her life and encourage me to keep seeking.

2-A Dream. I had a very intense longing for a past "friend." I was incredibly troubled by it one day in particular, and when I got to the end of the night, I just knelt in my bed and cried out to God through song. I had only been a Christian for about a month, so I only new one song, but I sang it for what seemed like hours until I finally fell asleep. During my sleep I dreamt of this guy and it was so real. It caused my heart to ache and I felt so much confusion. Then in the middle of all the confusion God clearly spoke to me, "It will never work, because he is not of me." Bam! I sat straight up in bed, completely awake and stunned. With one sentence, God completely broke the ties of that relationship from my heart. 4 months later, I ran into my "friend" and he started talking about a relationship (like in the dream), but in real life I had complete peace and confidence about turning away from the relationship.

3-My Man. There came a point in our dating life (and again the other night), where I felt I needed to share with My Man my history. I knew it would be over, but instead he pointed out that all of those journies and brought me right here with him. I'm so thankful that God has given him the capacity to love me over and over and over again.

4- GirlFriends. We have moved around so much, but God has always secured some beautiful women for me everywhere I go. It has never taken long, before I'm in a tremendous friendship where we can share our hearts, minds, fears, joys, and struggles. There are several, and I thank God for the time (at times too brief) that I've had with each of you...Bree, Nancy, Liza, Cherry, April, Rochelle, Holly, Marsha, Christa, Andrea, Kathy, Anna.

5- Unexpected Movie Line. "Time served. You are guilty, and you are free to go." I was watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose and when that line was spoken, it completely stunned me. It was a strange feeling, everything just stopped for a moment. I realized, Christ has served the time for my continued guilt, but because of Him, I am free to go. Thank you, Jesus.

So what are your Top 5 SSEs?

Crap! Mr. Wright, already has question #2 up; What the Hell is Wrong with People? I use to know someone who always said, 'F%$#ing People!' I guess that means we're just all screwed up, and as another friend has written, 'I (still) need God.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home