Sunday, December 04, 2005

Drinking Martinis with My Pastor's Wife


I went to Baba Budan's in Clifton and enjoyed their signature drink with a very cool chick. Yes, she happens to be my pastor's wife.

Now, the pastors' wives that I watched growing up wore the long floral dresses, and either wore their hair in a bun and no make up, their hair was 3 feet X 3 feet and their make up rubbed off on you as you stepped foot into the church. I don't remember hearing a pastor's wife talk about the challenges of marriage, motherhood, career, family holidays, or The Role of The Pastor's Wife. Everything was always so wonderful, so nice, so perfect, so full of content, so unachievable.

I'm so grateful to have a pastor's wife that I can sit down with and have a drink with and really get to know. She occasionally gives us vignettes into her person, her heart. I want to know my pastor's wife is real, you know? It's so great to know that she understands the challenges of life; to know when you share with her, it's OK. She isn't taking you off of the church Christmas party list, because you aren't the perfect, put together, everything's wonderful woman. No, you are on the Christmas party list, because God blessed her with a big warm heart, a laid back easy way, and desire to occassionally have a round of martini's with the (not so perfect) girls.

Cheers, Brooke!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers right back at you Courtney! I had a great time.

I am so grateful that most of the women at this church do not project onto me the pastor's wife they think I should be (or is that transference...Marsha, help me out here) They allow me to be the broken, mixed up, stressed out, tired and often cranky woman I am right now.
You will always be invited to the Christmas Party -- just don't ask me to put wet wipes in the bathroom :-)

B

Tue Dec 06, 10:37:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Projection it is indeed, Brooke.

We love our "pastor's wife." (I am totally groovin' to the tunes as I type, Courtney). I especially love how generous she is in sharing her Babatini :)

Regarding the wet wipes comment, all I can say is...ooo, SNAP!

Tue Dec 06, 11:44:00 AM 2005  
Blogger stinkowoman said...

Brooke is DA BOMB

Tue Dec 06, 02:55:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

joining the chorus... yay for brooke! thanks for opening your home so often and for letting us love on your sweet and adorable kids... (even if mac doesn't love me back... yet...)

lori, don't you mean d'bomb? :)

Tue Dec 06, 04:39:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Aaron said...

As if there was ever any doubt why I have committed my everlasting love to this woman... It has now been made obvious.

Tue Dec 06, 05:55:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Kalla said...

Um...I would agree. Brooke you are an amazing woman of God. And who cares if you are cranking or ready for some time away from your kids... it just mean you are real!
Keep being real!
Love ya! ;)

Sat Dec 10, 09:40:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home