Sunday, August 14, 2005

Right Now

"Live for the moment!" Such a clear and simple statement; full of commonsense, yet it demands such discipline.

Right now I'm reading a book by Luci Swindoll. (She is Chuck Swindoll's older sister, not his wife, and if you want to know more about her click here.) I'm reading her book I Married Adventure. This morning I read a poem that she quotes from a 14 year old boy. He sent this poem into "Dear Abby."

It was spring...but it was summer I wanted,
the warm days, and the great outdoors.
It was summer, but it was fall I wanted,
the colorful leaves, and the cool, dry air.
It was fall , but it was winter I wanted,
the beautiful snow, and the holiday season.
It was winter, but it was spring I wanted,
the warmth, and the blossoming of nature.
I was a child, but it was adulthood I wanted,
the freedom, and the respect.
I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted,
to be mature, and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged, but it was 20 I wanted,
the youth, and the free spirit.
I was retired, but it was middle age I wanted,
the presence of mind, without limitations.
My life was over. But I never got what I wanted.

Important things happen in each season of our lives. Experience them, breath them in, feel them, embrace them. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow doesn't exist, but today is real. Today, right now, is where I am. I exist only for this moment. I live in and love from only it.

God, fill me with the discipline and contentment to live in this moment. Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger stinkowoman said...

Such a great poem. Thanks for the reminder! It's so easy to slip into pondering the future all the time... "It was church planting time, but it was a fully functioning, self sufficient church I wanted..."

Sun Aug 14, 08:03:00 PM 2005  
Blogger agirloutthere said...

Hey there Stinkowoman! Too bad xanga won't let me post to you. By the way your post was quick! I just finished it. I'm toying with a couple of template changes right now. Thanks for visiting!

Sun Aug 14, 08:23:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This hits home for me because God has been really speaking to me about letting go of the past and laying my longings and desires for the future in his hands in order to live in the present - what Brennan Manning refers to in Ruthless Trust as No/where. I really feel it building trust in me. Thanks for posting this.

Mon Aug 15, 10:43:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home